Sunday, September 30, 2012

Choosing a Tracker

Currently researching the various options for getting the GPS data back to earth. There appears to be several. I'm not really in a position where I can build a board from scratch though if I had the time and patients I would love to give it ago. So more or less one of requirements is a pre-made board.

Checking out several sites, I came across Saskatoon Amateur Radio Club who provided some great information as to some of the gear they had used. They mentioned the OpenTracker which at first glances looks to do what I want and more. Looking further on the same Argent Data Systems site shows several other versions. Hmmmm

The same site also boasts a SRB MX145 Transmitter, which appears to be perfect as an APRS transmitter. Seems a possible solution. I would much prefer loosing an $80-$100 low power transmitter then using a handheld and lose that.

The SARC had also used a Byonics Pocket Tracker which also looked very impressive. What impressed me the most was the built in 2m Transmitter. So with this tracker I would just need to feed in the GPS data. Sadly they don't make them anymore, but have a similar Micro Trak 300 device.

The Micro Trak 300 outputs about 300 mW but I am a little unsure about the frequency I want to operate the APRS on. Should I just use the Australian 145.175Mhz , or pick another digital mode frequency and just collect the data myself.  Hmmm  Decisions.

Another option I discovered was the Spot Tracker which sends its GPS position via satellite approx every 10 mins. Not exactly what I am after, but as for a recovery tool it could be perfect. Though it may not function about 60000 Ft , it may well survive the final impact and be able to relay its location is the main transmitter fails. A bit of built in redundancy maybe.   I also wonder if anyone has modded these to be more suitable for Balloon operation.

Found another tracker - R Trak - which also has a 2m transmitter with changeable frequency. Nice..  It also has Five ADC channels for analog sensor readings which means I may be able to attach some extra stuff.

The search continues











No comments:

Post a Comment