Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Camera Trials - Installing CHDK on IXY Digital 70CHDK Menu

Been really eager to get into some testing and recently received an E-Bay purchase of a Canon IXY Digital 70 camera. So now that I have it I plan to mod it with the CHDK tool and see what its capable of. Camera was really cheap but will be a great initial est unit. It may make the flight if the tests are good.


Here are the steps I am taking to get the CHDK tool working on the camera. May come in handy for other experimenters.

1. I followed the FAQ on the CHDK site, which gets you to create an empty ver.req or vers.req on the cameras SD card. With the SD card inserted I just hold the Func and Disp buttons and the version is displayed.  Though I did do this first I then also found another tool that does all the work for you.

Found a tool called ACID on the FAQ page which just with a simple photo it will tell you what you need to run CHDK. This is what I ended up doing.

After running ACID I simply took a photo with the camera and dragged it into the App and got the below results.

My results running ACID


 Ticked the download stable CHDK full build and clicked the Download stable CHDK. The app then downloads and extracts into a Stable CHDK folder into the apps working directory.

2. Next I read the Preparing SD Card FAQ which gives more detail and a few other methods, but really all I did was copy the files downloaded to the SD card, in playback mode , choose firmware upgrade from the camera's playback menu. It then asks for confirmation to upgrade and it was that easy.

Following the upgrade I was able to press the printer button and the CHDK menu appears

CHDK Menu
First steps complete.  Now to have a play around and check out some scripts to see what this puppy can do  :-)

Edit :- Since doing some testing I have realized that you need to make the SD card bootable so that the CHDK tool will be available when you first turn the camera on.





No comments:

Post a Comment