Friday, November 30, 2012

Opentracker USB take 2

After damaging the original radio mic cable that came with my tracker, I was starting to think that I may have damaged something in the tracker itself. Nothing I tried seemed to make the tracker key up my handheld. However, a couple of days ago my replacement mic cable arrived and I finally found some time to play with it.

Initially I wired up the cables as per the original , however nothing worked. I discovered that the mic cable was wired differently and needed to swap a few cables around. This seemed to do the trick and I am now TXing again. Phew...

Now that I am TXing again, I haven't yet seem my callsign appear on aprs.fi So again I was wondering if something wasn't right. So to test this out I downloaded some APRS tracking software that runs using  my PC's soundcard. After a few tweaks, like changing the baud rate to 1200, i had success. The application decoded my handhelds signal and I was able to read the coordinates. It accurate to about 5 meters, which probably isn't to bad seeing the GPS unit is on the window and probably not seeing a full sky.

So with a big smile on my face, I can finally after many weeks of downtime move on to get the tracker into a more portable form. Would be nice to see my callsign on APRS.fi to double confirm that everything is ok.


No comments:

Post a Comment